Effective from 10 August 2021
1. The competition is being conducted by Regaining the Edge Productions Pty Ltd (ACN 627665981) in conjunction with the Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (ABN 73 204 129 543).
2. Entries can address any aspect of the entrant’s experience of mental health.
3. Entries are open anyone who has had a lived experience of a mental illness, or to the family friends, workmate or other people who have had close association with anyone with a lived experience of mental illness. Mental Illness is taken in its broadest sense, and includes, but is not limited to any condition, whether medically diagnosed or not, that is identified as a mental illness under the current editions of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, (DSM) as published by the American Psychiatric Association (APA), or the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) published by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and as modified for use by individual countries. Where a condition has not been medically diagnosed, self-identification as having experienced a mental illness will be accepted.
4. Entries must be the work of the person who enters the competition although collaborative entries are permitted. Where collaboration occurs, all parties should be identified in the entry description, however one individual will be responsible for submitting the entry and all entrants will be jointly and individually responsible for ensuring compliance with these terms and conditions. Entrants are free to use whatever lens-device they choose, including smart phone or film cameras, subject to compliance with the remainder of these rules.
5. In order to be exhibited, entries from persons aged under 18 at 19 July 2021 must be supported by an email indicating parent/guardian consent (firstname.lastname@example.org).
6. Entry is AUS $35 for a single photo or movie, and AUS $90 for four photos or movies. Discounts are available.
7. Post-production, including combination of several images and sounds, image manipulation or sound manipulation using editing software is permitted.
8. Electronic copies only will be received. Photos should be under 4MB and JPEG or JPG and should be at least 1,500 px on the longer side. Short movies should be one-minute or less. The entry portal will provide further information on format and size for photographs and short movies.
9. Each entry should have a title and a written description of up to 500 characters. Should your work be chosen for exhibition, your description may be edited for purposes of clarity, to remove typos or any offensive text, or any other purpose we deem necessary.
13. Entries should not have any watermarks, logos or copyright marks. If your work is a photograph, it should not have your name visible.
14. By submitting the entry form, you give Regaining the Edge Productions a universal license to copy, exhibit and publish your submission (including any photograph, movie or text) or any part of it for any purpose relating to promoting this and future Out From the Mist competitions or to otherwise promote mental health issues. This license will expire on 1 November 2022. Your approval will be sought for these uses.
15. Further, you give Regaining the Edge Productions permission to give competition sponsors and the Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia license to use your work for purposes of promoting mental health including their involvement in mental health issues in the course of the competition. This license will expire on 1 November 2022. Your approval will be sought for these uses.
17. Out From The Mist will exhibit entries at galleries over the period 2021/22, and you will be advised if your work is chosen for exhibition. By entering the competition you agree to having your work exhibited in 2021/22.
18. You will be credited wherever your images, movie and/or written description are used. We will only use your work with your permission.
19. Entries for the 2021 competition will close at 7.30pm on Friday 24 September 2021 Australian Eastern Standard Time.
20. Entries are open to both residents and non-residents of Australia.
21. Judges’ decisions will be final.
22. By entering the competition, you warrant that you are the creator of the photo, movie and written description and that you have all and any necessary permissions for display of the photo or short-movie.
23. Your entry must not contain any material or content that is threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic, profane, encourages conduct which would be considered a criminal offence, gives rise to civil liability or otherwise violates any law of either Australia or the country from which you enter the competition.
24. By entering the competition you assert ownership of copyright and moral rights.
25. Breach of any of these conditions will disqualify you from the competition and you agree that your entry fee will be forfeited.
26. Submitting the entry form constitutes acceptance of these conditions.
27. Any disputes arising from this competition will first be mediated by a professional mediator identified by the Queensland Law Society https://www.qls.com.au/For_the_community/Alternative_Dispute_Resolution. All disputes will be be subject to the jurisdiction of Queensland Australia.
28. Sale of work. Your work might be offered for sale by a gallery where its is displayed, or buyers might approach Out From The Mist to purchase your work. We will seek your agreement on the sale, including sale price. Please note, galleries selling your work will normally take a percentage of the sale price – 50% is not uncommon. As well, Out From the Mist will recover its expenses in providing the work to the buyer, including printing, framing, and postage and handling. In some instances the buyer might want a digital copy of the work. Where the decision to purchase arises from then seeing your work at gallery, the gallery might ask for a percentage of the sale price to cover their exhibition costs. You agree to Regaining the Edge Productions undertaking all these commercial negotiations on your behalf, with you retaining the right to agree or not to any proposal.
29. Regaining the Edge Productions will not be held liable for the actions or failure to act of any other party associated with this competition, including any breaches of these conditions by those parties.
31. Any changes to these terms and conditions will be made on this page and be effective for all entries received on or after the ‘Effective from’ date at the top of this page. You should check these terms and conditions before lodging an entry.